In Episode 29, we dish up some quick bites, including my take on the 2020 election, a baby Wise update, the highest and lowest cost per calorie foods we have in our kitchen, some workout talk, fasted lifting, and more!
For show notes, pictures, transcript, and more, go to Wise-Eats.com/Episode29
- Wise-Eats.com/Episode29 for the show notes, YouTube video, and more! (0:00)
- Top 25 Horror Movie List: Wise-Eats.com/ScaryMovies (0:30)
- Misteredit1 Pool Trick Shot Videos: Wise-Eats.com/TrickShots (0:40)
- Word to the Wise: 5-Star iTunes Review from Ninabellaorlando (1:30)
- Re-framing the mindset from loss and grief to positivity and honor (2:00)
- 5-Star iTunes Review from my wife LOL (3:00)
- Mrs. Wise pregnancy update! Midwife, home birthing (3:15)
- Jumping the gun on our baby announcement (4:00)
- 2020 Presidential Election: Vegas odds & my take (5:00)
- Trump and pro wrestling, The Apprentice, UFC (5:00)
- The president cannot fix your life! (6:00)
- Workout Tip: Fasted Lifting (Game changer!) (7:20)
- My current fitness goals: Cutting weight! (9:00)
- Finishing MAPS Split: Great program but too high volume for cutting (9:30)
- MAPS Anabolic, my cardio routine, daily calorie intake (9:45)
- Diet Tip: Cost per Calorie: Ranking my pantry from least expensive to most expensive (11:10)
- Lowest cost per calorie items (11:50)
- Highest cost per calorie items (12:20)
- Full cost per calorie spreadsheet at Wise-Eats.com/CostperCalorie (13:00)
- My favorite “Un-Wise” choice right now: Skinny Pop (13:15)
- Thanks for watching and listening! Happy Halloween 😊 (14:30)
- Wise-Eats.com/Episode29 for show notes, YouTube video, pictures, transcript, and more! (14:30)
- Blooper Reel (15:10)
- Website Link: Wise-Eats.com/Episode29
- YouTube Video: https://youtu.be/VyPIeQ42Fb0
- Audio Only Link: https://traffic.libsyn.com/secure/wiseeats/Wise_Eats_Episode_29.mp3
- Podcast Webpage: Wise-Eats.com/Podcast
- Instagram: @weswisefitness
- E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Articles/Brands/Products Mentioned in This Episode:
- Top 25 Horror Movie List: Wise-Eats.com/ScaryMovies
- Misteredit1 Pool Trick Shot Videos: Wise-Eats.com/TrickShots
- Skinny Pop
- MAPS Split
- MAPS Anabolic
- Book: What to Expect When You’re Expecting by Heidi Murkoff, Sharon Mazel
- Book: The Expectant Father by Armin Brott, Jennifer Ash
Healthy, Real Food Recipes: Wise-Eats.com/Recipes
Movie Clips Used
- Half Baked
- Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers
- Hulk Hogan Promo WrestleMania 4
- Joe Rogan Experience
- Black Sheep
- Joe Biden and Donald Trump’s fiery first debate—Here are the highlights
- Every “You’re fired!” ever (The Apprentice)
- Trump: ‘I’ve done more in 47 months than you did in 47 years, Joe’
- Website Design Thank You: DoeringDesign.com
- Logo Design Thank You’s: @this_show, MGSignsDesign.com
- Editing Animations Thank You: Darin Roberts aka Misteredit1 on YouTube
- The Wise Eats Podcast is written, filmed, edited, and produced by Wesley Wise, and shared by YOU. Your support is greatly appreciated!
Submit questions, comments, feedback to WiseEatsPodcast@gmail.com or to @weswisefitness on Instagram. Thanks for watching, listening, reviewing, liking, subscribing, and sharing. Be good to yourself, be good to others, and make wise choices!Every “You’re fired!” ever (The Apprentice)
What’s up wise guys and gals? Halloween is right around the corner, which I’m always excited about. I recently released my Top 25 horror movies list video, which you can check out at Wise-Eats.com/ScaryMovies. Shout out to everyone who is getting into the spirit, and on that note, want to shout out Lord Deezus. Throughout the pandemic, he’s been putting out some really high-quality pool trick shot videos. Very fun and very well done, and his most recent was a Halloween special, so I highly recommend you check that out. Wise-Eats.com/TrickShots
In today’s episode, we’re diving into some quick bites, but first, let’s do a Word to the Wise.
Word to the Wise
Our word to the wise this week is a 5-star review on iTunes from Ninabellaorlando, who says:
“I love your show! I like that you used fitness and nutrition to fight depression instead of playing the victim card. You’ve been through a lot and could have taken the lazy way out but you didn’t! Really inspiring to see how you got healthy the all natural way. Congratulations and keep these great episodes coming!”
I can’t tell you all how much I appreciate the comments, questions, and 5-star iTunes reviews. This one comes from my wife, which I’m not afraid to admit! I know her comments are genuine because it’s true that I’ve suffered many tragedies in my life, but so have millions of other people in the world. I choose to honor those that I’ve lost by trying to live my best life and be the best person that I can be to impact others.
All that’s going to matter at the end of this life is the legacy you leave behind and the impact you have on other people, and that’s why I create this show. So, I greatly appreciate that review. If you’re listening on iTunes, please leave a 5-star rating. If you’re on YouTube, please like the video, subscribe, and leave me a comment because I usually read them all.
Speaking of Mrs. Wise, let’s jump into a Baby Wise update!
Baby Wise Status
Mrs. Wise is doing very well in the 5th month of pregnancy. Currently, the baby is the size of an avocado. We will find out the sex within the next few weeks and I’m working on making the gender a podcast exclusive, but we’ll see how mom feels about that!
Our plan is to go as natural as possible, not involving doctors or hospitals unless absolutely necessary. We’re working with a midwife and the goal is to have the baby at home. Being at home and comfortable with our dogs and loved ones is ideal, so we’ll see what happens!
We recently released our official baby announcement, although I dropped the ball a bit by mentioning it here first on the podcast, which Mrs. Wise didn’t love, but she supports the show, so she gave me a pass on that one, LOL. See, always looking out for the viewers of the show and giving you guys the exclusive!
I’m still reading the Expectant Father. I really love it because it follows the pregnancy from the dad’s perspective but provides a ton of good information about mom and baby and what both mom and Dad can expect at each step of the pregnancy. Highly recommended!
Gio is reading What to Expect When You’re Expecting, which she seems to like. We’re also planning to read Birthing from Within. At this point, we’re both really happy and enjoying the process so far. Thanks to everyone for your well wishes.
Election 2020 – Vegas Odds & My Take
The election is coming up, so make sure you get out and vote!
I’m a betting man and the Vegas odds currently have Joe Biden as a slight favorite to win over Trump, but it’s very close! Trump was a big underdog to Hilary in the last election, so we’ll see what happens!
I’m not a political guy by any means, but I’ve always been a big fan of Donald Trump the character. He’s a very funny, entertaining guy, and has always been a big supporter of professional wrestling and the UFC, which sits well with me as a lifelong fan of both. The Apprentice was also one of my favorite TV shows back in the day. Very entertaining and helped inspire my business background.
His performance as President, well, may be another story! All I know is that a lot of people seem to be too worried about which president is going to come along and fix everything when what they really need to do is change something within themselves. I really don’t care who becomes president because regardless of what happens in the outside world, I know I’m in control of myself.
You hear about all of this negativity but I’m not experiencing that in my life. I love my life. I have a great job, things are cruising along mostly as normal despite the pandemic. COVID is annoying for sure, but for me, it’s been business as usual. I know there’s a lot of suffering out there and don’t want to dismiss that, but from my perspective, things are really great. I don’t know how much the president has to do with that, but I wonder how much of the negativity you hear about is just media swerve.
Ultimately, I think it’s unrealistic to think that one man or regime is going to change the world. It’s up to each one of us individually to positively impact the world. Each of us needs to step up and become the President of the United States in our own little world!!
Workout Tip: Fasted Lifting
Throughout my 10-ish years of consistently lifting weights, I have typically lifted fully fed and in the early-late afternoon. Recently though, I started incorporating AM lifting sessions. I get up between 5-6am, get hydrated, make my coffee, get right to the lifts.
Fasted lifting was never something I would do, but it has been a game changer for me and am loving it. My energy levels are still high and I’m still making gains, despite being in a fasted state.
I won’t sacrifice sleep to get up early when I can help it. If my body naturally wakes up, I’ll get the workout in. If it doesn’t, I’ll do my usual lunchtime or afternoon workout. Also, if I only have a short amount of time first thing in the morning, I’ll get my most grueling tough sets out of the way so they’re done. Then, I’ll finish up at lunchtime or after work. This strategy promotes sprinkling extra movement throughout your day and multiple smaller workouts instead of one big workout. It’s a habit I wish I had started much sooner, so I highly recommend it!
Current Fitness Goal: Cutting weight to 180lbs.
- Starting Weight: 192lbs
- Goal Weight: 180lbs
- Weight Lifting Schedule: 6 Days per Week (MAPS Split)
- Cardio: (2) 30-Min HIIT Sessions per Week & 13,000 Steps/Day
Average Calories per Day: 3,400
I started my cut around 192lbs, trying to get down to 180. That’s lower than I can ever remember being since I started lifting weights, so it’s a goal of mine, but I’m extremely lean, healthy, and feeling amazing at 183lb. I’ll continue to push to try to hit the 180lb number, but it won’t be the end of the world if I don’t hit it.
I completed the MAPS Split program 3 times. For this cut, it was too high volume for a calorie deficit. So, I decided to break the workout in half. I’m now done with that program and back to MAPS Anabolic, which is a full body lifting routine performed twice per week. Perfect for my fat cutting goal!
For cardio, I’m doing 2 30-mknute HIIT sessions per week tons of walking. I average about 13,000 steps per day.
Diet-wise, I’m averaging about 3,400 calories per day. Some days I’m much higher, but try to keep that as my average for the week, and that is a calorie deficit for me.
Something I’m Excited About Diet-Wise: Cost per Calorie
I’m all about health, longevity, and healthy food, but I’m also a finance guy, so I wanted to see the foods that were having the greatest impact on our pocket book. Here is the full spreadsheet, ranked from least expensive cost per calorie down to most expensive. Find the complete spreadsheet over at Wise-Eats.com/CostperCalorie
Favorite Un-Wise Choice: Skinny Pop
My favorite un-wise choice currently is Skinny Pop we get from Costco. Delicious, the perfect snack when you’re watching your favorite scary movies this Halloween. I love it because it’s a much better alternative to potato chips or some other type of junk food. It’s gluten-free, non-GMO popcorn. High in dietary fat so don’t go too far overboard. The stuff is so good though it’s tough not to!
My only gripe with this product is that it’s made with sunflower oil, which is highly processed. It’s important to find an organic, non-gmo popcorn that’s made with a quality oil like coconut oil or even avocado oil. I only enjoy this snack once in a great while, but it’s a wiser option than many other processed foods out there.
Thanks for reading, listening, and watching. Be good to yourself, be good to others, and until next time, make wise choices!