This cake recipe is delicious AND good for you. We made it for our daughter’s 2nd birthday and we all loved it! It was just as good, if not better, than the bakery cake we bought for the rest of the party. So moist, rich, and very tasty with hardly any sugar and packed full of nutrient-dense ingredients. Original recipe is linked at the bottom of this post.
Banana Cake Ingredients (Palanjian, 2022)
- 1 cup rolled oats (we use Farmer’s We Know organic sprouted oats from Costco)
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (3 medium bananas)
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter (melted and slightly cooled; or coconut oil or coconut oil for dairy-free)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened at room temperature. Replace with non-dairy Greek yogurt for dairy-free option)
- 2 tablespoons butter (softened at room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons honey (or maple syrup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the oats, coconut, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon into the bowl of a food processor (we used our BlendTec blender). Grind about 30 seconds, or until the oats resemble a coarse flour.
- Add the bananas, eggs, vanilla, butter, and maple syrup. Process for an additional 30 seconds or until the batter is smooth.
- Divide the batter between two 8-inch cake pans. Bake for 28-30 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out cleanly.
- Place pans onto a wire rack and let cakes cool completely in the pan.
- Make the frosting: Use an electric hand-held mixer to beat together the cream cheese, butter, honey (or maple syrup), and vanilla extract. Beat until very smooth.
- To frost, place one cake onto a plate, top with 1/4-⅓ cup of frosting. Place the second cake on top and spread the remaining frosting over top.
- Get ready to make some wise choices!
Palanjian, A. (2022, July 2). Healthy Banana Cake. Retrieved from https://www.yummytoddlerfood.com/extra-special-banana-birthday-cake/