In Episode 28, we dish up a brand-new healthy breakfast recipe and do a special edition of quick bites, where I review the MAPS Split workout program and discuss movies, music, diet tips, a special announcement, and more!
For show notes, pictures, transcript, and more, go to Wise-Eats.com/Episode28
- Wise-Eats.com/Episode28 for the show notes, YouTube video, and more! (0:00)
- Word to the Wise! 5-Star iTunes Review from Doering1983 (0:30)
- Recipe of the Week: Wise Eats Instant Oatmeal (1:30)
- A healthy breakfast is the only pre-workout you need! (1:45)
- Quick Bites! Reviewing the MAPS Split weight lifting program (3:00)
- “Mapping” out my entire workout plan for the week (3:00)
- Day 1: Chest & Shoulders (3:25)
- Modifying the program while I work out at home (3:30)
- Day 2: Leg Day (4:00)
- Day 3: Back & Biceps (4:10)
- Day 4: Chest & Shoulders Part 2 (4:20)
- Day 5: Leg Day Part 2 (4:40)
- Day 6: Back & Biceps Part 2 (5:00)
- My favorite unwise choice right now: breakfast cereal! (5:40)
- Making wise choices, even on cheat day (5:40)
- Cheerios Oat Crunch, Kashi Peanut Butter Crunch, Crispix (6:00)
- Diet Tip: Frozen Banana (6:50)
- Books I’m Reading: The Millionaire Next Door (7:20)
- Books I’m Reading: The Expectant Father (7:30)
- Expecting our first kid! “Wes Daddy” is finally gonna be an actual daddy! (7:30)
- Stuff I’m Watching: A Bronx Tale, Jumanji: The Next Level, Big Brother (7:50)
- Workout Playlist Recommendation: Til’ It’s Gone by Yelawolf (9:00)
- Workout Playlist Recommendation: Staring at the Sun by Post Malone (9:30)
- YOUR workout playlist recommendations! (10:00)
- Celebrating my 37th birthday with a FAKE cake?! (10:15)
- Wise-Eats.com/Episode28 for show notes, YouTube video, pictures, transcript, and more! (12:30)
- Blooper Reel (13:00)
- Website Link: Wise-Eats.com/Episode28
- YouTube Video: https://youtu.be/98RGNA7R5rE
- Audio Only Link: https://traffic.libsyn.com/secure/wiseeats/Wise_Eats_Episode_28.mp3
- Podcast Webpage: Wise-Eats.com/Podcast
- Instagram: @weswisefitness
- E-Mail: email@example.com
Recipes Mentioned in this Episode
- Instant Oatmeal: Wise-Eats.com/InstantOatmeal
- Bastard Biker Banana Bread: Wise-Eats.com/BananaBread
- Complete List of Healthy Recipes: Wise-Eats.com/Recipes
Articles/Brands/Products Mentioned in This Episode:
- MAPS Split
- Cheerios Oat Crunch
- Kashi Peanut Butter Crunch
Books Mentioned in This Episode:
Movies Mentioned in This Episode:
- Jumanji: The Next Level (2019)
- A Bronx Tale (1993)
- Big Brother (2020)
Music in This Episode:
- Post Malone – rockstar ft. 21 Savage [Instrumental] [No Copyright]
- Yelawolf – “Til It’s Gone” (Instrumental) w/ lyrics
- AC/DC – Rock N Roll Train – Backing Track
- Staring at the Sun – Post Malone
- Hollywood is Bleeding – Post Malone
- The Day I Tried To Live – Soundgarden (Viewer Recommendation)
- Cone of Shame – Faith No More (Viewer Recommendation)
- BYB 2013 – Johnny Turbo vs Wes Daddy vs Lord Deezus
- BYB 2014 – The Filthy Frenchman vs. Wes Daddy
- BYB 2015 – The Immortal Lord Deezus vs. Wes Daddy
- BYB 2016 – Wes Daddy vs. The Filthy Frenchman
- Complete List of Back Yard Brawl Matches, Features, and Highlights
- Energy Bowl (Healthy Oatmeal Breakfast Bowl Recipe)
- Big Brother 19 – Official Trailer #1
- Funniest Babies and Kids FAILS on Birthday | Funny Babies
- Babies Diving into Birthday Cakes
- Funny Babies Blowing Candle and FAILS | Funny Babies
- Scary BANNED McDonalds Ad!
- Jumanji: The Next Level (2019): Body Swapping
- Two Two on the Hard Four ⚁⚁
- HONEY NUT CHEERIOS COMMERCIAL – HULK HOGAN – 1985
- The Following Announcement S1, E4: Back on Our Own 4 Feet Again
Website Design Thank You: DoeringDesign.com
Editing Animations Thank You: Darin Roberts aka Misteredit1 on YouTube
The Wise Eats Podcast is written, filmed, edited, and produced by Wesley Wise, and shared by YOU. Your support is greatly appreciated!
Submit questions, comments, feedback to WiseEatsPodcast@gmail.com or to @weswisefitness on Instagram. Thanks for watching, listening, reviewing, liking, subscribing, and sharing. Be good to yourself, be good to others, and make wise choices!
Welcome to Episode 28 of the Wise Eats Podcast!! Today, I’m sharing an amazing healthy breakfast recipe that I enjoy nearly every single day to stay fit and have incredible energy. I’m also reading your iTunes reviews and doing another edition of Quick Bites, where I discuss MAPS Split, music, movies, my workout routine, and an exciting personal announcement!
If you want to submit questions, e-mail WiseEatsPodcast@Gmail.com, @WesWiseFitness on Instagram, or drop a comment in the YouTube video. It’s time to Wise Up!
Word to the Wise
Big thanks to Doering1983 for leaving a 5-star iTunes review. That is greatly appreciated. Check out DoeringDesign.com for your website building needs.
Recipe of the Week: Instant Oatmeal
Whenever someone asks me what my first meal of the day is, it’s almost always the same answer: The Wise Eats Instant Oatmeal – a delicious, simple, and quick way to get a blast of energy to start your day. This is usually my first meal and ends up being my pre-workout if I’m lifting weights around lunchtime.
One of my all-time favorite recipes is Mike Dolce’s Breakfast Bowl, made with oats, fresh fruit, chia seed. I even made my own version of it for Wise Eats and called it the Energy Bowl, available at Wise-Eats.com. That recipe requires cooking the oats on the stove and mixing in your favorite whole food ingredients.
Eventually, I decided why not simplify this recipe by converting it into an instant oatmeal bowl with no cooking required? They’re super simple, quick, delicious, and highly nutritious.
I usually make these in advance for the next day and store them in the freezer. Pull them out, add your almond milk or water, and you’re good to go! Wait a few minutes, if you can, to allow the chia seeds to expand. But, usually, I can’t wait and just eat it right away. It’s so good! 😊
One of the best things about this recipe is its versatility. I’ll enjoy it as prescribed, but I also switch up the ingredients quite a bit to keep it fresh and interesting. There are so many different combinations of ingredients you can use. Use your favorite fresh or frozen fruits, nuts, and seeds. There’s no end to the possibilities!
For a nutrient-dense energy blast to start your day, get in the kitchen and make a wise decision!
- 2/3 Cup Sprouted Oats (70g)
- ¼ Cup Raisins (40g)
- 1 Tbsp Chia Seed (15)
- 1 Cup Blueberry (140g)
- Dash Cinnamon
- 1 Scoop Vanilla Whey Protein Isolate (27g)
- 8oz Unsweetened Almond Milk
Note: If you’d like to sweeten this up a bit, add some local raw honey, maple syrup, or stevia.
Nutrition Facts – 1 Bowl
- Calories 685
- Fat 12.5g
- Protein 39.5
- Carbs 103.5
Some of our favorite alternative ingredients for this recipe include:
- Crushed almonds
- Flax Seed
- Peanut Butter
- Cacao Nibs
My Current Workout Program
My current lifting regimen is MAPS Split from the guys over at Mind Pump. I love this program as an advanced weight lifter because it’s high volume and lots of reps. It’s split into 3 phases, each lasting 4 weeks. Each phase, you go into a new rep range. Phase 1 is heavy (4-6 reps), Phase 2 is 8-10 reps, and Phase 3 is high rep (15-20 reps). In this routine, you’re lifting 6 days per week, and the week breaks down like this:
- Day 1 – Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
- Day 2 – Leg Day
- Day 3 – Back & Biceps
- Day 4 – Chest & Shoulders #2
- Day 5 – Leg Day #2
- Day 6 – Back & Biceps #2
I modify some of the individual exercises because I’m not back in the gym, but you don’t need a ton of equipment. Some dumbbells, barbell, plates, maybe some bands, and a pull-up bar are all you need! I love working out at home in my garage gym because I can get sun while I lift and do some stuff around the house in between sets.
In addition to MAPS Split, I’m doing a maximum 2 days of HIIT cardio per week, about 30mins each. I also do fasted walking every single day. Outside of that, maybe an ab workout and a little extra stretching, mobility, and foam rolling. That’s basically how my workout weeks look currently.
Here is the breakdown of my most recent workout week, including exercises, sets, reps, and weights:
Favorite Un-Wise Choice Right Now: Breakfast Cereal
Cereal used to be everyday LIFE, although I don’t eat much of it these days. Too many artificial ingredients and way too much sugar. But, once a fat kid at heart, always a fat kid, so I still LOVE breakfast cereal, even if all I really do anymore is think and talk about it. My all-time favorite is probably Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Nowadays, if I’m going the cereal route, it’s usually some Ezekiel Sprouted Grain or Nature’s Path. BUT, my wife and I still make it a tradition to have some old school breakfast cereal when we go on vacation to northern Michigan. So, on our recent trip up north, we decided to bring along some Cheerios Oat Crunch, Kashi Peanut Butter Crunch, and Crispix. We had never tried the Cheerios or the Kashi before, but they were both incredible! And my wife’s all-time favorite is Crispix, which I can’t understand, but to each their own! Obviously, these cereals are not good for you by any means, but you could do much worse when it comes to a cheat meal!
Diet Tip: Frozen Bananas
Keeping frozen bananas on hand is a game changer! They’re amazing in smoothies and make for a delicious snack! Simply chop up some fresh bananas and store in a plastic bag or container in the freezer. You will not regret it!
Books I’m Reading
The Expectant Father – I recently found out that I’m finally going to be a father at 37 years of age. I immediately acquired “What to Expect When You’re Expecting” for Giovannina and “The Expectant Father” for myself. Of course, it’s time to wise up because I want to be the best “daddy” that I can be!
The Millionaire Next Door – This is a classic book on wealth building that focuses on the studies of some of the nation’s wealthiest individuals. My biggest takeaway so far is that building wealth comes down to the basic fundamentals: Live on less than you make, don’t buy expensive crap, don’t rely on others for handouts, work hard, forget about keeping up with the Joneses, build a great family, and stay consistent! It’s pretty simple. My wife and I budget diligently and I have no doubts that we will become everyday millionaires one day and be outrageously generous in the process.
Movies I’m Watching
A Bronx Tale, Jumanji: The Next Level, Bachelor Party, Big Brother
Songs I’m Listening To
- Hollywood is Bleeding – Post Malone
- Til It’s Gone – Yelawolf
- Staring at the Sun – Post Malone
- Listener Recommendations: Cone of Shame by Faith No More & The Day I Tried to Live by Soundgarden (Shout out to Deezus & Keith for sending those).
Celebrating My 37th Birthday with a FAKE Cake?!
Does anyone else out there have parents with a sick sense of humor? I recently celebrated my 37th birthday and received a beautiful, homemade, FAKE cake from my Dad as a gag gift. He knows I don’t eat sweets much anymore, so he went to the trouble of building a fake cake out of a bathroom trash can, caulk, then decorating it with my all-time favorite: rainbow chips. It took him 3 days. What a sick man! It looked so perfect, I was ready to indulge for my birthday. Not funny Dad! 😊
Thanks for reading, listening, and watching. Be good to yourself, be good to others, and until next time, make wise choices!