Powerful SUPER FOOD – Homegrown Vegetables!
Supercharge Your Health with Broccoli Sprouts!
What’s up, Wise Guys and Gals? Today, we’re making broccoli sprouts: An amazing super food that’s great for your health and really easy to make! All you need are some broccoli seeds, a mason jar, sprouting lid, and filtered water!
I originally heard about broccoli sprouts from Rhonda Patrick on the Joe Rogan Experience and assumed they had to be complicated. But they’re definitely not! The sprouts grow on their own, you just need to show up every now and then and give them a rinse. It’s super easy, and the benefits to your health are dramatic!
According to DrAxe.com, broccoli sprouts:
- May fight and prevent cancer
- May benefit heart function
- Support strong bones
- Help fight infections and inflammation
- Detoxify the body
- Improve respiratory function
- Protect the brain
Inexpensive to Make!
A bag of broccoli seeds may seem expensive at first, but it’s really not when you consider just how many sprouts you’ll end up with. We’re still on our first bag from Amazon ($37.99 for 2.5lbs) and have been eating sprouts for months! That one bag will yield about 40 jars of broccoli sprouts for up to 80 or more servings! That’s homegrown veggies for a fraction of the price. You can probably shop around and get the seeds even cheaper, as well.
Don’t Stop at Broccoli Seeds!
There are other sprouting options aside from broccoli.Alfalfa, red clover, and radish are a few. Do you know of more? Send a comment at WiseEatsPodcast@gmail.com or @WesWiseFitness and let me know! So, far, we’ve only tried the broccoli sprouts, but we love them so much, we’re definitely going to do more sprouting in the future!
To sprout, you’ll need some broccoli seeds, a mason jar, sprouting lid, and filtered water.
- Place about 2 tbsp of broccoli seeds in your jar and cover with a few inches of room temperature water
- Soak the seeds overnight, preferably in a warm, dark place like a cupboard
- After 8-12 hours, drain the seeds and rinse them off with more filtered water
- Allow the seeds to drain completely, then place them back into storage. Make sure the jar is stored upside down to ensure the seeds drain fully.
- Rinse and drain the seeds every 8-12 hours (We do this at 7am and 7pm each day)
- As the seeds begin to sprout, you will notice yellow tails beginning to grow.
- Continue this rinsing/draining process for approximately 5-7 days.
- Once the sprouts appear to be fully grown, completely drain them one last time and place in the windowsill for some sunlight. When you notice the sprouts turning a green color, they’re ready to go! At this point, we place them in a separate storage container in the refrigerator and consume them within 3-5 days.
We love the texture and taste of these sprouts. We throw them on salads and stir fries. You can even eat them on their own!
Start with 2-3 mason jars so you can have seeds in various stages of the sprouting process. You don’t want to run out! 😊
If you liked this video/article, please click thumbs up and subscribe. Thanks for watching, have a great day and make wise choices.